At BDAQ we are often asked, “What’s the difference between a building designer and an architect?”

In Queensland there is no difference in the work that can be done by a building designer as opposed to an architect.

There are some differences in education and regulation between the professions but these make little difference to their work output.

A building designer must be licensed by the Queensland Building Services Authority at a level suitable for the type of work to be undertaken.

For design and/or documentation you should only contract with a BSA licensed building designer or a Board Registered architect or engineer. It’s your choice.

Others who offer to do design or documentation work are working illegally and this may jeopardise the chance of your project gaining the required approvals.